Coconut bread is a regular after school snack in our home. It is an all time favourite bread of our family and delicious treat of mine. I love that it is easy to make and hits the right spot when you are looking for a little something sweet to nibble on in the afternoon. The difficulty is stopping at one piece! So after many years of making coconut bread for our family I decided to make it my own by adding some chocolate chips and taking it to a whole new level of yumminess!
Chocolate Chip Coconut Bread
1 tsp vanilla extract
375g (2 1/2 cups) plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
220g (1 cup) caster sugar
2 cups shredded or desiccated coconut
(you can use less coconut but I use 2 cups because I love it!)
75g butter, melted
1 packet of chocolate chips (any brand)
Method1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 21 x 10cm loaf pan.
2. Lightly whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla in a bowl.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a separate, large bowl. Add in the sugar and coconut and stir until just combined. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and gradually stir in the egg mixture until just combined.
4. Add the melted butter and stir until mixture is just smooth (do not over-mix). Then add in the packet of chocolate chips. Once again do not over-mix.
5. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
6. Set aside in the pan for 5 minutes to cool, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve in thick slices and enjoy.
I make one of these coconut breads and it feeds my family of nine. We have one slice each and love it! I first found the recipe here and I made a few changes to make it my own. Enjoy x