What makes a good blogger?
I have read a lot of blogs over the past couple of years and have spent a great deal of time analysing what I think makes a good blog and blogger. Obviously, what is a good blog and blogger is going to be diffrerent for everyone but I thought I would share my thoughts on what I love to see in the blog world.
There are of course some exceptions to my thoughts as there are some blogs that don't use any images at all and are just brilliant writers etc. but generally speaking to me these are the common tips that I have seen good bloggers do.
1. They share their story. They are not afraid to share honestly and openly what has happened to them over their lifetime and believe that what they have to say is worthwhile and will make a difference.
2. They use good images. I love a blog that has great images. Either pictures they have taken themselves or images that are found on the internet for use.
3. They write from the heart. I love to read powerful writing. Writing that makes you laugh or cry, that touches your heart and leaves you feeling like a different person after reading it.
4. They link to other bloggers. I love to see a blogger share some blog love and link to other bloggers. All bloggers love to get traffic to their site and it is a joy to see someone sharing something you have written.
5. They know their worth. When working with companies or brands they know that they have influence and value. They are confident enough to ask for compensation and respect themselves enough to value their words, effort and time.
6. They don't take themselves too seriously. They know that having a blog should be fun and enjoyable. They know that not everyone is going to agree with what they have to say and are prepared to handle comments that may cause them to feel offended.
7. They know their blog voice. A good blogger knows their own voice and style and is consistent. They are not tempted to change and become someone else for the sake of keeping readers or companies happy. You can know they will be reliable with what they share and say.
8. They love their readers. I love to see a blogger who listens to what their readers want. They answer questions, they appreciate that they took the time to stop by and they make them feel important.
9. They have a simple blog design. I love a blog that is easy to navigate and looks simple and inviting. A good blog design helps you feel that the blog is an extension of who they are as a blogger and you feel good every time you visit.
10. They know content is key. I love a blogger who knows that content is key to having a good blog. They work hard to provide good content that readers will enjoy and are not afraid to put in the time and effort to research if need be.
11. They mentor other bloggers. I love a blogger who takes the time to help other bloggers progress and better other blogs. They share what they have learned and support the blogging community.
12. They are teachable. I love to see a blogger acknowledge that they still have more to learn. They are open to new ideas, they admit mistakes and keep moving forward to improve upon what they already know.
13. They have a life besides their blog. A good blogger knows that a blog is an extension of them and their thoughts but is not their whole life. They have real life relationships and live life off their blog as well as on it.
14. They know when to take a break. I love to see a blogger admit they need a break. They value their own mental and emotional health and can step away from their blog to take care of themselves if need be.
15. They are not jealous. I love a blogger who celebrates the success of other bloggers and knows that comparison leads to misery. They understand that we all have different voices, talents and opportunities and is happy to support others in their blog journey.
Naturally, there is a lot more that could be added to this list but these are the top thoughts that stand out to me on what I have seen makes up a good blog and blogger. There are after all so many blogs to get ideas from these days!
What would you add to my list?